- TO DO ITEMS
- Complete reference notes.
- Do dollar conversions based on an exchange rate to be selected.
- Refine prices.
- Spell check.
- Guys, thanks for the comments. I will update during the course of the week and put in comments as I go along. The edited cells I will colour them green for us to keep track of the changes.--Dumisani (talk) 11:10, 20 May 2013 (SAST)
My remarks on the budget:
- Bill 1
- Telcom costs : 3000R, seems low (international calls, remember we would pay around R300 a month a person as fixed telcom fee)
- T-shirts: avoid having too much t-shirts (eg. the last WLM). Would start with 50.
- Bill 2
- 5 people 7 weeks on hotel? Would shared appartement or another type of accomodation not be cheaper and more relevant for this situation?
- I lowered this amount to R900. We might just be able to negotiate it lower but, I would like not to cut this one further as the big selling point is to hold the event at Premier Hotels where we would have access to free Airport shuttling for the participants.--Dumisani (talk) 22:10, 20 May 2013 (SAST)
- R22,000 for buying tech stuff. Can we not use our existing laptops?
- I updated down to 1 laptop. I believe we should have atleast a general laptop that can be used by any of the organisers should we need any. I also believe that the hotel could be willing to set-up a desktop station for us for the event where we could then use this amount to pay for the desktop.--Dumisani (talk) 22:10, 20 May 2013 (SAST)
- Boardroom: is very cheap à R250 pd.
- Bill 3
- Total costs amount to R1000 pp for 75 persons. I think the food cost is too high. Would look seperatly to the food, as this is the 2/3's of the total budget.
- Bill 4
- Very high transport costs?
- Bill 5
- Again, very high accomodation costs. 75 people will have a hotel room for 4 days. This is 300 "rooms we fill". We should get a much better hotel rate. My max. would be only half (R650 pp pn)!
- Bill 6
- Explain? Seems high.
- additional sources of revenue
First off, great job on putting this all together. I think it looks great an only needs a few minor adjustments and trim a few costs here and there before the grant review folks do. By and large I want to echo Maarten's notes and make one overall comment. I think that Bill 5: getting people to the conference and hosting them, is the most important thing we need funding for. I think we need to clearly state that in our grant application up front and reasons why it is the case that most attendees will need grant funding to attend.
- Bill 1
- I agree with Maarten, R3000 for a high speed telecoms setup might be a bit low. Lets make sure it is up to statch and be prepared to pay a little more.
- Bill 5
- Explain why so many people will need scholarships to travel, the answer might be obvious (Africa's large size and the lack of financial resources that event goers from Africa Chapters will have to attend) but it is important to state anyway. It is also important to state that travel within Africa is on average more expensive than much of the rest of the world.
- We also need to justify and our assumption that 50 people will attend, I think we might want to readjust that to 30-40 people. Alternatively we could make it 3-4 people per Africa (both proposed and established, should be around 12 people) chapter + 20 deserving applicants (people from countries which do not have chapters and/or exceptional people).
- I agree with Maarten that we could negotiate a lower rental due to the volume we are brining the hotel. If however they are prepared to give us savings in other areas then let this be represented in the grant too. Makes us look great if we are getting more for less.
- Will all provinces in South Africa be sending a representative, are there that many Wikipedians in South Africa that will be willing and able to attend the conference from across the nation? I think we should make this number up to 9 Wikipedians with preference in allocation going in such a way as to ensure that every province will have at least one representative should there be some one from each province wishing to attend. That way provinces where no representative is sent from can be allocated to provinces that might have more than one member (like the Western Cape) who might want to attend.
- Bill 6
- I think we can half all the costs in this budget line. I think participants will be happy with a R2,500 prize/hamper. I think we also need to justify why we even have this budget line. Stating that the reason for this budget line is to incentavise Wikimedians across Africa to engage in outreach activities and chapter setup.