Board Meeting 30 April 2019
From Wikimedia ZA
Wikimedia ZA Board meeting - 30 April 2019
- Douglas has updated application, has asked for feedback from Winifred, hasn't heard back yet.
- Douglas reluctant to make last-minute changes to avoid resetting the process.
- Tonight is the deadline.
- No one else from the board has followed Douglas closely, so no-one else closely familiar with the process.
Brief on Copyright Amendment Bill update
- Battle heating up
- Tide seems to be turning, social media now seems to be leaning in favour of the Bill
- Thanks Douglas for writing the two articles
- Re-create has added a commonly-asked questions section to deal with most common issues: https://www.re-createza.org/commonly-asked-questions
WMZA tax situation
- No update, no response to Douglas' request from accountant
- Douglas to update public benefit status application (previously filed in 2014, rejected because Douglas was mistakenly classified as dead), accountants to file on our behalf
- First step towards Section 18A, so people that donate to use can offset against tax
Wiki Loves Africa update
- Everything has been submitted to main jury
- Winners will be announced in June
- Adri to create 2 social media posts with our entries, encourage people to update their descriptions
- 6 out of the 10 winners are uncontactable
- Agree with discussion on African Wikimedians mailing list about usability of the images, many of the images are not usable
- Better communicate entry requirements
- Get future entrants to categorise etc. their images properly so they can be identified, used.
- Adri to write report
Wiki Loves Earth
- No involvement from WMZA this year
Rising Voices request
- Global Voices are running campaign as part of International Year of Indigenous Languages
- Not aimed directly at WMZA, but contacts in circle
- Can add content such as Ian's blogs, Michael's dissertation
- If we were planning a translate-a-thon, can contribute (it's on for the whole year)
- Michael will share on WMZA mailing list
- Douglas to organise next meetup, Adri to assist
- Suggestion for change of venue
- Look at getting a roller banner for use at our meetups
Douglas Affiliate nomination
- WMZA in support of Douglas's application
- If Douglas is expected to step down from the board (as well as president), we need to do a better job of continuing to use his knowledge
- When Dumi stepped down, he became an advisor to the board, but we haven't used his skills particularly well
- Agree that it's not ideal for board to be seen to be overly dependent on one member, this will be beneficial in that regard
- Douglas expresses confidence that board will continue to function well
- Issue about a conflict of interest between a candidate being on Affiliates selection committee and applying herself as well.
- People were unhappy with this situation, suggestion to remove this conflict of interest (and require chapter board members to step down)
- Outcome of this will be announced in Wikimania Stockholm in August
- Bobby has added WMZA endorsement, final edits can be given to him after this meeting
Next board meeting
- Adri to schedule next meeting. Aim for Tuesdays, which most of us can meet.
- Douglas has adopted a new mascot, proposes that it be the WMZA mascot to be taken to meetings
- Needs a name
- Douglas will share the image and ask for suggestions for names