Board Meeting 18 May 2021
From Wikimedia ZA
Wikimedia South Africa Board meeting 2021-05-18 at 18:00
- Bobby Shabangu
- Rossouw van Rooyen
- Douglas Scott
- Michael Graaf
- Deon Steyn (joins in the last 10 min)
- Nobantu Modise
- Shupai Mchuchu hospitalisation update
- Bookeers's update
- Upcoming election of the WMF Board
- Afrikaans Wikipedia birthday budget
- 12 May 2021; Bobby was notified by Shupai's sister that Shupai was hospitalised. Paralized from the neckdown. Now she is in Grooteschuur Hospital for treatment with a problem with her spine. Bobby is in touch with her sister to keep us informed on changes to her condition. Bobby suggests a compassionate approach. We should consider getting an extra person in another part of the country as per our inital suggestion to the WMF, this will also help cover Shupai should she be incapaciated for a long period.
- Douglas advocates we keep Shupai and see how her condition improves, general agreement on this suggestion.
- Board unanomously approves to continue paying Shupai her existing payments during her hospitalisation for the forseeable future.
- Everyone wishes Shupai well.
- Review of payment of tax on Shupai's salary in 2021
- Discussed clarification of amount unspent from the 2019/20 WMF grant and confirmation of that amount to the WMF.
- Discussed a number of issues related to paying Shupai in a timely manner
- The book keepers informed Douglas that an additional tax charge has been imposed on the Chapter similar to the the amount charged in 2019/20. Douglas will talk to the book keepers to find out what is going on here and report back to the board.
WMF board election prep
details of the election: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2021
- Deon says he will now revisit the issue of finding volunteers to encourage people to vote in the elections and educate people about it.
Afrikaans Wikipedia birthday prep
- Deon will do preporations to ensure COVID safety and compliance
- Deon requests additional funding for the even so that a 'rock-star' community member can attend from Cape Town. Douglas says that he will need additional budget details and justifications for the event to pass onto the WMF for approval ASAP.