Wikimania/Tips and tricks
From Wikimedia ZA
Revision as of 12:57, 16 August 2013 by Slashme
- Take away possible resistance.
- Subjects that could lead to people not attending the conference. Examples:
- visa issues (SA is visa friendly, not really a problem);
- Low budget travellers. Proof that the whole travel costs, including accomodation, cost of public transport, eating out ... are reasonable
- Safety & security ("it's not Joburg")
- Invalid persons
- Make sure the people are really interested
- by focussing on high-impact groups. Examples:
- People that want to travel while being in SA (-> arrange for some tours afterwards, team up with CPT tourism office),
- People with children
- Germans/Dutch/... (-> collaboration with the Deutsche Schüle, Huis der Nederlanden, ...)
- Internet addicts (góód wireless)
- Software developers (team them up with existing teams in CPT)
- Foodies (If I just could take Charly's Bakery back home...)
Experience from previous editions
- set up a "safe space" where anyone who experiences anything unpleasant at the event (e.g. unwanted advances, aggresive attitudes, etc) can go for advice and support
- set up a quiet connected space for last minute proposal writing, Skype chats or just recharging computers and devices. A few if those non branded vodacom charging stations that they have at the airport would be great to have around the place!
- make sure there's fast and reliable wireless internet available
- make sure there are plenty of power points in each room
- decide on a standard power plug type (Maybe Type F or Type C Europlug) and allow delegates to order leads/adapters on a bulk discount.