The Wiki Loves Monuments competition in South Africa ended off on a high note with the Award Ceremony on Saturday, 23 November 2013 at the Premier Hotel in Midrand. A total of 89 participants entered this year with a total submission of 6,432 photographs. This is a fantastic increase from the 1,858 submitted last year and exceeded our target for 2013 of 5,000 photographs by 22%!
The winners were:
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R7,500.
- Second Prize: Arthur Nathan by Leanri van Heerden
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R4,000.
- Third Prize: Boschendal_Various._09 by Chris Snelling
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R2,500.
- Most Entries Prize: with a staggering 1,677 photographs goes to Leo za1
- Best Picture of a Proposed Monument: Port Elizabeth Cape Receife Lighthouse proposed site at night by Suzi-k
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R3,000.
Unfortunately Leo ZA1 was unable to attend the awards so Nick Roux accepted on her behalf.
Our top three winning photographs have been submitted with seven other submissions as part of the ten top photographs submitted by South Africa into the international Wiki Loves Monuments competition. All of the competing photographs for the international competition, including the South African entries, can be viewed here.
The first place winning photograph. Valley of Desolation-013 by Leo-za1
The best proposed monument winner by Suzi-k
We would like to thank all of our partners and the participants in the 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments photographic competition.
We would like to thank:
- Orms for the award vouchers and helping to publicise the competition.
- South African Heritage Resources Agency for the locations and data on all the monuments in South Africa.
- Heritage Western Cape for their ongoing support in the Western Cape.
- Creative Commons and the Wiki Africa for their logistical support.