Board Meeting 2 June 2020

From Wikimedia ZA
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

WMZA Board Meeting - 2 June 2020

Attendees:

  • Michael
  • Adri
  • Coenraad
  • Deon
  • Douglas
  • Wynand
  • Rossouw
  • Bobby

Apologies:

  • Ian

Agenda:

Wiki Indaba steering committee election (WISCOM)

  • The committee was established to clarify why "Wiki Indaba"?
  • Idea from Felix Nartley
  • To increase African languages presence
  • To assist African organizers that want their own events
  • Bobby has been our representative
  • Bobby would like to stand again if possible, would not like to stand for a third time
  • Adri nominates Rossouw for a secondary position if possible to learn the process
  • Bobby seconds this
  • We should reply to the mail regarding this

Shiba's proposal to meet the 2nd of June - Music articles requires Wiki training

  • Rossouw will mail her regarding date/details.
  • Suggestion from Douglas for two weeks from now
  • Michael also willing to assist
  • Proposal from Douglas to give an introductory crash course, and then perhaps pair users off with Rossouw and Michael


Burgert's 6000th Article

  • Burgert created his 6000th article for the Afrikaans Wiki recently (6.59% of all Afrikaans Wikipedia articles :) ) WHAT A LEGEND
  • Deon's proposal to gift him something in the range of R500 for his contributions
  • Adri's proposal for a gift basket from Netflorist
  • Proposal from Wynand to put up Burgert's achievement on our website and social media

Wikipedian in residence for Moleskine

  • Rossouw declined Pappa's offer to become a Wikipedian in residence for the Moleskine Foundation
  • Rossouw proposed Adri, or a referral from the board. Will probe him about this


Moleskine Foundation - COVID Article Translation Update

  • Rossouw to mail the second batch of proposed translators
  • Recommendation to set up a Memorandum of Understanding between WikimediaZA and Moleskine Foundation
  • Broader discussion
  • Need Community Liaison person to talk to
  • Community
  • Partners
  • Work with other entities
  • Douglas point person
  • Sit down and develop structure for community support towards enablement
  • Date: 2 weeks from now - 18th and 21st of June - 6:00PM
  • Homework: Write down any steps towards creating order and structure, specifically from Wikimedia Boards training and meetings with other Chapters.

African Language Champions

  • Wynand and Bobby to reach out to potential champions that would like to be Champions for their African language and potentially train their students to be editors.


AfLibWk

  • Formal report to be collated and submitted
  • LIASA #1Lib1Ref champions
  • WhatsApp group - 30 Librarians
  • Training sessions
  • Douglas to write letter to Nikki Crowster (LIASA President) cc Ingrid Thomson in thanks for support to Wikipedia development? Wynand to send Douglas an email with the details so that he can send the thank you email.

Stats

  • Articles created 23
  • Articles edited 3,94k
  • Total edits 27,8k
  • Editors 844
  • Words added 660k
  • Article views 7,5m
  • Commons uploads 81


Interactive Africa

  • Douglas has been asked to create a strategy to help facilitate design articles. Goal: to get more high quality art articles.
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox