Board Meeting 21 January 2020

From Wikimedia ZA
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Attendees:

  • Deon
  • Douglas
  • Adri
  • Ian
  • Tanveer from WMF - presentation on Strategy
  • Deon
  • Rossouw
  • Wynand

Apologies:

  • Coenraad
  • Bobby

Previous Meetings:

Agenda:

. Discussion with Teenveer Hasan re https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations

  • Tanveer attended the boardmeeting to discuss the Movement Strategy and the final set of recommendations.
  • The process: In 2018 Wikimania the working groups started with the goal of creating a strategy and recommendations. These were put forward in Wikimania 2019. There are now 13 large meta recommendations.
  • What the Foundation would like to know now is if the recommendations are relevant to the community or if any are harmful/dangerous
  • Tanveer is reaching out to Africa and Asia communities specially to make sure that these communities are being included and heard.
  • The feedback will be shared with the writers to add ot the recommendations.
  • Board should create the environment/event for discussion to happen and feedback to be given.
  • Possibly do something at our next meetup and have Tanveer dial in and present. Tanveer is happy to dial in over a weekend.
  • Process runs until mid-March, but need feedback ASAP
  • If we think of people of communities that are crucial to the movement and should participate as well, we should direct them to Tanveer.

Welcome to Wynand, our new board member from Makhanda

. Standard bank - Overdraft Message

  • One of our accounts is overdrawn with >R370. This is the Misc account and the bank charges yearly banking fees. Derick has been instructed to transfer R1000 from the Foundation account to the Misc account and list it as a Banking Fees line item.

Adri's feedback on the rebranding workshop in Oslo last week

Maroela Media: copyright issue Wêreldspektrum and Kennis

  • Chapter to write a letter outlining that articles submitted to Wikipedia needs to adhere to "rules" and therefor no copy and pasting, nor single cited articles. Also content of both publications out of date which will be major issue. Leet to be addressed to Maroela and Elana Barker, Susan Lombard.
  • Group google doc to be created to cowork on the letter - Adri to create and share

WMZA Survey Status

  • Douglas to follow-up with Foundation - Adri to harrass Douglas twice a week.
  • Previously ran Apr, May, Jun 2014

WMZA 5 year plan workshop (needs to be done before end of Jan)

  • Adri to send out planner, and get a date that everyone can attend.

. Next meetup date to be setup

  • Early February. Date to be confirmed.

Dumisani debt issue - request to forgive interest on debt and commitment to fully repay by July 2020.

  • Dumi owes >R20k to the Chapter. Most of this is interest that has accumulated over the last 2 years.
  • Dumi has committed to repaying the debt by July 2020 if we can scrap the interest.
  • Douglas is in favour of this. Adri seconds. Ian concurs, but would like to see more information.
  • Douglas would need to discuss with the accountants to make sure that scrapping the interest would be above-board.

Communication and social media channels, infrastructure

From 19 November to 21 January:

  • Twitter: 1538 followers -> 1550
  • Facebook (English): 965 follows (899 likes) -> 968 (896)
  • Facebook (Afrikaans): 319 members -> 506
  • Mailing list (Afrikaans): 313 members. Suspect most are fake, aol addresses, no valid activity for years -> 314
  • Mailing list (English): 280 members -> 272
  • Instagram 133 Followers -> 145
  • Meetup: 113 members -> 118
  • Youtube: 47 subscribers -> 48
  • Zulip: 13 users -> 13
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox