Board Meeting 14 August 2018

From Wikimedia ZA
Jump to: navigation, search

WMZA Board meeting

14 August 2018 | 19h00 - Hangouts

Contents

Attendance

  • Bobby
  • Deon
  • Ian
  • Raymond

Apologies

  • Douglas

Agenda

Website, social media

  • We are more active on social media than mailing lists, should encourage members to join there
  • With the current hosting problems our Mediawiki instance on 1-grid, broad agreement to:
    • Move to Wordpress, as a more engaging way to interact with members (needs to be properly designed)
    • Move hosts (we urgently need https support as well)
    • Ian to follow up both of these points
  • Also broad support for using Wikimedia South Africa as our dominant brand, rather than Wikimedia ZA, as not everyone is aware of what ZA stands for.
  • There are two Wikipedia Afrikaans Facebook pages. Deon not sure who is in charge. Both active. We can host events on Facebook as well.
  • Ian to follow up with Coenraad about whether members have been emailed.

Editathon reportback

  • Jhb was successful
  • 11 people present
  • Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture page created ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela_Foundation) which was eventually incorporated to the Nelson Mandela Foundation page
  • Mohau created one-liner, others contributed.
  • As for Cape Town, Raymond had no-one else join at his house. Focused on Wikidata.
  • Ian edited from his house
  • Upcoming events need to be planned further in advance. Last-minute organisation is taxing for volunteers.
  • We need to expand our communication beyond the board. We are good at talking to board members, not as much to outside members. Members such as Mohau have been to every Jhb meetup.

Biodiversity Heritage Library

  • Ian has not followed up yet
  • Deon will also not be that active for next while, as company work is ramping up.

Puku

  • Dumi and Bobby need to find date to go to Braamfontein and meet in person.
  • Bobby to follow up with Dumi

Post-conference party

  • Needs more discussion. Raymond suggested his apartment.

Date for the AGM

  • Bobby is happy with all proposed dates (Sat 27 October, Saturday 3 November, Saturday 10 November). We need to confirm this soon, follow up with Douglas.

Next meeting

  • Brief meetings every two weeks on Tuesday 7pm seems to work. Will set up calendar.
  • Next meeting Tue Aug 28, 7pm
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox