Board Meeting 4 December 2018

From Wikimedia ZA
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "WMZA Board meeting 4 December 2018 | 19h00 - 20h00 ==Attendance== ==Apologies== * Michael ==Agenda== ===Next board meeting=== Category:Board meetings")
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
WMZA Board meeting
 
WMZA Board meeting
  
4 December 2018 | 19h00 - 20h00
+
4 December 2018 | 19h00 - 21h00
  
 
==Attendance==
 
==Attendance==
 +
* Adri
 +
* Bobby
 +
* Coenraad
 +
* Douglas
 +
* Ian
 +
* Rossouw (Text chat only)
  
 
==Apologies==
 
==Apologies==
Line 10: Line 16:
 
==Agenda==
 
==Agenda==
  
 +
=== Advocacy update - Copyright Bill goes to Parliament ===
 +
* Bill going to parliament tomorrow
 +
* Copyright alliance trying to sink bill, petition running with famous authors
 +
* Douglas, Ian and Coenraad & Adri vote to allow Douglas to write up an opinion piece on misunderstandings and benefits of Fair Use
 +
** Dispel myths (robs authors of their rights), arguments for (why we care).
  
 +
===Wiki Loves Africa ===
 +
* Requires panel of judges
 +
* Securing the funding (have miscellaneous war chest) ~R500k
 +
* Publicity. Connecting to other groups.
 +
* Liaise with Wiki Africa
 +
* Perhaps run edit-a-thon
 +
* Adri agrees to co-ordinate WMZA involvement
 +
* Questions about funding Wiki Africa are receiving. Bobby to investigate further.
 +
* Some discussion about events in 2013, history with Wiki Africa
  
 +
=== Design outreach update ===
 +
* Meeting with Design Indaba (Adri, Rueben, Douglas)
 +
* Letter was sent out to their contacts
 +
* Followup 11 December about possible mini-workshop
 +
 +
=== Grant update - bad news ===
 +
* Postponed to 2019 annual grant cycle pending a report about jhbpedia  ~end of feb
 +
* Turned down by WMF due to not meeting deadline for closure of Joburgpedia
 +
* Can approach WMF early next year again
 +
* Joburgpedia issue is about confusion over funds relating to closing the Jobergpedia Digitisation Report.
 +
* Need to submit proof to WMF that everyone was paid, and proof we returned the money.
 +
* Gil was reimbursed, issue was funds from Chapter vs Foundation. Chapter has paid, WMF needs to be shown proof of this
 +
 +
=== Roles allocations ===
 +
* Douglas nominated as president by Coenraad, seconded by Adri
 +
* Only nomination, Douglas re-elected president
 +
* Coenraad nominated as Treasurer by Douglas, seconded by Adri
 +
* Only nomination, Coenraad elected
 +
* Ian nominates Bobby for vice-president, Coenraad seconds
 +
* Only nomination, Bobby elected
 +
 +
=== Membership pipeline ===
 +
* 58 members signed up in last 3 months
 +
* 6 payments received
 +
* BQuest contracted to follow admin checklist - send welcome emails, generate payment links, reconcile payments, send reminder emails, followup emails etc.
 +
 +
=== Website ===
 +
* 1-Grid debited us for the next year need to make changes before next year's debit
 +
* Still receiving very poor service about queries, billing, but unfortunately we have paid for the year, so not a priority to change right now
 +
 +
=== WikiCon ===
 +
* Who are we sending. Need to decide in next few days
 +
* Rossouw has volunteered
 +
* Last year was Coenraad and Michael (Douglas also attended as Wikimania organiser)
 +
* Coenraad interested in strategy stream
 +
* Bobby interested in going, last went in 2013
 +
* To discuss on Zulip
 +
  
 
===Next board meeting===
 
===Next board meeting===
 +
* 8th January 2019 - 19:00 to 20:00 (?)
  
 
[[Category:Board meetings]]
 
[[Category:Board meetings]]

Latest revision as of 23:23, 6 December 2018

WMZA Board meeting

4 December 2018 | 19h00 - 21h00

Contents

[edit] Attendance

  • Adri
  • Bobby
  • Coenraad
  • Douglas
  • Ian
  • Rossouw (Text chat only)

[edit] Apologies

  • Michael

[edit] Agenda

[edit] Advocacy update - Copyright Bill goes to Parliament

  • Bill going to parliament tomorrow
  • Copyright alliance trying to sink bill, petition running with famous authors
  • Douglas, Ian and Coenraad & Adri vote to allow Douglas to write up an opinion piece on misunderstandings and benefits of Fair Use
    • Dispel myths (robs authors of their rights), arguments for (why we care).

[edit] Wiki Loves Africa

  • Requires panel of judges
  • Securing the funding (have miscellaneous war chest) ~R500k
  • Publicity. Connecting to other groups.
  • Liaise with Wiki Africa
  • Perhaps run edit-a-thon
  • Adri agrees to co-ordinate WMZA involvement
  • Questions about funding Wiki Africa are receiving. Bobby to investigate further.
  • Some discussion about events in 2013, history with Wiki Africa

[edit] Design outreach update

  • Meeting with Design Indaba (Adri, Rueben, Douglas)
  • Letter was sent out to their contacts
  • Followup 11 December about possible mini-workshop

[edit] Grant update - bad news

  • Postponed to 2019 annual grant cycle pending a report about jhbpedia ~end of feb
  • Turned down by WMF due to not meeting deadline for closure of Joburgpedia
  • Can approach WMF early next year again
  • Joburgpedia issue is about confusion over funds relating to closing the Jobergpedia Digitisation Report.
  • Need to submit proof to WMF that everyone was paid, and proof we returned the money.
  • Gil was reimbursed, issue was funds from Chapter vs Foundation. Chapter has paid, WMF needs to be shown proof of this

[edit] Roles allocations

  • Douglas nominated as president by Coenraad, seconded by Adri
  • Only nomination, Douglas re-elected president
  • Coenraad nominated as Treasurer by Douglas, seconded by Adri
  • Only nomination, Coenraad elected
  • Ian nominates Bobby for vice-president, Coenraad seconds
  • Only nomination, Bobby elected

[edit] Membership pipeline

  • 58 members signed up in last 3 months
  • 6 payments received
  • BQuest contracted to follow admin checklist - send welcome emails, generate payment links, reconcile payments, send reminder emails, followup emails etc.

[edit] Website

  • 1-Grid debited us for the next year need to make changes before next year's debit
  • Still receiving very poor service about queries, billing, but unfortunately we have paid for the year, so not a priority to change right now

[edit] WikiCon

  • Who are we sending. Need to decide in next few days
  • Rossouw has volunteered
  • Last year was Coenraad and Michael (Douglas also attended as Wikimania organiser)
  • Coenraad interested in strategy stream
  • Bobby interested in going, last went in 2013
  • To discuss on Zulip


[edit] Next board meeting

  • 8th January 2019 - 19:00 to 20:00 (?)
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox