Board Meeting 19 November 2019
From Wikimedia ZA
Revision as of 23:20, 19 November 2019 by Greenman
Berlin Wikimedia Registration
- Bobby proposes Adri goes, seconded by Douglas, no opposition
- Rossouw - https://maroelamedia.co.za/afrikaans/ontkiem-n-wiki-saadjie-en-wen/ - can we allocate R2500 -requested
- Line item for R10,000 for Puku-Trust which hasn't been used as they are not interested in doing a project with us, which means that we have finances left.
- Rossouw only needs $170 for the competition. The rest of the money should be used for local language support.
- Deon - Employees of Maroela Media are doing bad edits.
- Deon has visited Maroela media 4 times to give training
- They are copying items from Kennis and Wereldspektrum, 2 Afrikaans encyclopedias, to Wikipedia
- They are inserting marketing material and non-NPOV material
- Deon's calls to Cecil Lombard has fallen on deaf ears
- Douglas: This is an Afrikaans Wikipedia issue, they need to consult their policy, Chapter can only place a consultative role
- Adri will set up an independent Afrikaans meetup
Strategy Day & AGM Planning
- Strategy Day & AGM Planning: We have a venue for the Strat and AGM
- Email from Paul: Create AGM event page and add Paul's agenda items. Keep this as an open item and discuss it once everyone has a chance to read it.
- Suggestion to invite board nominations telephonically - Coenraad suggestion that we invite people to a members hangout next week via email and individually for the first week of December - where we invite people to the AGM - and strategy day.
- Please start adding ideas here: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/wmza-strategy
- Board members have 1 bed available. We have accommodation requests for 5 and flight requests for 3. Flights will be arranged by end of week by Coenraad.
Jhb City Library Edit Workshop
- Bobby - Jhb City Library Edit Workshop - 5 December
- 2019 is the year of indigenous languages.
- This workshop was planned since January, but no date has been found yet. The JHB City Library Bookclub would be involved.
- They agreed. Bobby needs budget for refreshments and modem.
- Bobby needs to organise a modem/wifi and snacks
- The library organises the space and computers.
- Budget: R4000
- Remainder of Puku trust R10k - ~R7500 to find African Language projects to spend on
- Next meetup is on 7 December
- Wikimedia Survey - Douglas to jump on this asap.
- Feedback on Afrikaans Skryfweek - focus on Namibia
- A lot of articles written and great community.
- Wiki Indaba: 40-50 ppl attended.
- Lots of visa issues.
- Bad internet at venue, but many memorable sessions and materials on Commons.
- How to bridge language gaps and grow African communities.
- Need to choose next host - resolution was reached to choose Uganda. Some of us were hoping for Namibia.
- Douglas to follow up
From 21 August to 19 November:
- Twitter: 1487 followers -> 1538
- Facebook (English): 965 follows (903 likes) -> 965 (899)
- Facebook (Afrikaans): 319 members -> 391
- Mailing list (Afrikaans): 313 members. Suspect most are fake, aol addresses, no valid activity for years -> 313
- Mailing list (English): 280 members -> ??
- Instagram 122 Followers -> 133
- Meetup: 103 members -> 113
- Youtube: 47 subscribers -> 47
- Zulip: 13 users -> 13