Board Meeting 18 June 2019

From Wikimedia ZA
Revision as of 20:15, 18 June 2019 by Dagelf (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

=Wikimedia ZA Board meeting - 18 June 2019

Contents

Attendance

Michael Graaf Ian Gilfillan Rossouw Coenraad Adri Baard Bobby Shabangu

Apologies

Deon Steyn Douglas

Agenda

Previous minutes

WLA 2019 - Report

Completed: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Africa_2019_South_Africa Winners to be announced and contacted by the end of this month (June)

Survey for Wikipedia ZA

  • Been some email discussion

Wikimania Scholarships

  • Douglas and Bobby going
  • Judges - David Richfield, Dumisane, Martin (German chapter)
  • Number of applications
  • Ian will send out more reminders closer to time

Hackathon update

  • Dragging out, making things complicated, may be better off doing ourselves
    • Also problems with phone conference
    • Sentech wants to follow the manual to the letter, including server setup - Coenraad offered help, Michael and Coenraad will discuss
  • Reuben has got involved too which is great


Afrikaans Wikipedia

  • R500 token award for person making the 2 millionth edit
  • Surprise
  • 1700 edits away from 2 millionth edit
  • Motion put forward by Douglas, suggested by Adriaan - seconded by Ian, Rossouw yes from Adri, Coenraad, passed
  • Social media posts - afterwards, Adri will coordinate

Ian: What if it's a board member that does the 2 millionth edit?

  • Ian retracts support, conflict of interest, not widely known - suggestion to get back to Adriaan with concerns and ask him for proposal

Coenraad: How about we get WAT to donate a dictionary and thesaurus or something, with a thank you letter? (and a suggestion for winner to gift it if they already have one)

  • Those who are aware of it are not eligible

Events

Madrid

Douglas needs to report back

Cape Town Meetup

Ian, Douglas, Adri, Michael attended plus approx 10 others 10:00-14:00 Good meetup, another one in early July - meetup.com account managed by Reuben https://www.meetup.com/Wikimedia-ZA/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Cape_Town/Cape_Town_16 Next one: July 7 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Cape_Town/Cape_Town_17

Goethe Institute

    • Bobby met with them in Berlin. Bobby presented along with German chapter, GI wants to integrate ?
    • GI will provide with venue, catering and internet for workshops
    • Expressed interest in sponsoring attendees to Wikimania. Too late for this year, request to be asked in time for future years
    • There were no attendees from Cape Town center, but same applies.
    • Coenraad: Can we need to send them an official thank you letter? - Yes, as a chapter. Bobby to draft letter, and ask for Cape Town contact person.

Puku

    • No followup yet, Bobby still tying to confirm a date

Rhodes - June 28 - July 2

    • Deon attending
    • Rossouw' was due to attend, but flights from Namibia too expensive (R8500), unfortunately we cannot afford. Bobby has volunteered to go.
    • Friday meeting with Wynand(?) to confirm schedule (Bobby, Deon and Douglas - Bobby will forward email)
    • Whitelist IP, create dashboard, track new members
    • Meeting on Friday


Climate Change workshop

Communication and social media channels, infrastructure

  • Twitter: 1407 followers -> 1414
  • Facebook (Afrikaans): 309 members -> 308
  • Facebook (English): 957 follows (904 likes) -> 962 (908)
  • Instagram 110 Followers
  • Mailing list (Afrikaans): 312 members. Suspect most are fake, aol addresses, no valid activity for years -> 312
  • Mailing list (English): 284 members -> 284
  • Meetup: 85 members -> 92
  • Youtube: 47 subscribers -> 47
  • Zulip: 13 users -> 13


Next Meeting

  • Tue 02 July 7pm
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox