Board Meeting 18 June 2019

From Wikimedia ZA
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(11 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
=Wikimedia ZA Board meeting - 18 June 2019
+
=Wikimedia ZA Board meeting - 18 June 2019=
  
 
==Attendance==
 
==Attendance==
Michael Graaf
+
* Michael Graaf
Ian Gilfillan
+
* Ian Gilfillan
Rossouw
+
* Rossouw
Coenraad  
+
* Coenraad  
Adri Baard
+
* Adri Baard
Bobby Shabangu
+
* Bobby Shabangu
  
 
===Apologies===
 
===Apologies===
Deon Steyn
+
* Deon Steyn
Douglas
+
* Douglas
  
 
==Agenda==
 
==Agenda==
Line 17: Line 17:
 
===Previous minutes===
 
===Previous minutes===
  
====WLA 2019 - Report====
+
====Wiki Loves Africa 2019 - Report====
Completed: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Africa_2019_South_Africa
+
* Completed: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Africa_2019_South_Africa
Winners to be announced and contacted by the end of this month (June)
+
* Winners to be announced and contacted by the end of this month (June)
  
 
====Survey for Wikipedia ZA====
 
====Survey for Wikipedia ZA====
Line 41: Line 41:
 
* Surprise
 
* Surprise
 
* 1700 edits away from 2 millionth edit
 
* 1700 edits away from 2 millionth edit
* Motion put forward by Douglas, suggested by Adriaan - seconded by Ian, Rossouw yes from Adri, Coenraad, passed
+
* Initial support, but then discussion about conflict of interest, some knowing about the prize in advance and others not
* Social media posts - afterwards, Adri will coordinate
+
* There will be social media posts afterwards to recognise this milestone, Adri will coordinate
Ian: What if it's a board member that does the 2 millionth edit?
+
* Agreed that those who are aware of it are not eligible
* Ian retracts support, conflict of interest, not widely known - suggestion to get back to Adriaan with concerns and ask him for proposal
+
Coenraad: How about we get WAT to donate a dictionary and thesaurus or something, with a thank you letter?
+
(and a suggestion for winner to gift it if they already have one)
+
* Those who are aware of it are not eligible
+
  
 
===Events===
 
===Events===
 
====Madrid====
 
====Madrid====
Douglas needs to report back
+
* Douglas needs to report back
  
 
====Cape Town Meetup====
 
====Cape Town Meetup====
Ian, Douglas, Adri,  Michael attended plus approx 10 others 10:00-14:00 Good meetup, another one in early July - meetup.com account managed by Reuben
+
* Ian, Douglas, Adri,  Michael attended, approx 10 attendees, 10:00-14:00  
https://www.meetup.com/Wikimedia-ZA/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Cape_Town/Cape_Town_16
+
* Good meetup, another one in early July - meetup.com account managed by Reuben
Next one: July 7 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Cape_Town/Cape_Town_17
+
* https://www.meetup.com/Wikimedia-ZA/
 +
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Cape_Town/Cape_Town_16
 +
* Next one: July 7 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Cape_Town/Cape_Town_17
  
 
====Goethe Institute====
 
====Goethe Institute====
** Bobby met with them in Berlin. Bobby presented along with German chapter, GI wants to integrate ?
+
* Bobby met with them in Berlin. Bobby presented along with German chapter, GI wants to integrate ?
** GI will provide with venue, catering and internet for workshops
+
* GI will provide with venue, catering and internet for workshops
** Expressed interest in sponsoring attendees to Wikimania. Too late for this year, request to be asked in time for future years
+
* Expressed interest in sponsoring attendees to Wikimania. Too late for this year, request to be asked in time for future years
** There were no attendees from Cape Town center, but same applies.  
+
* There were no attendees from Cape Town center, but same applies.  
** Coenraad: Can we need to send them an official thank you letter? - Yes, as a chapter.  Bobby to draft letter, and ask for Cape Town contact person.
+
* Coenraad: Can we need to send them an official thank you letter? - Yes, as a chapter.  Bobby to draft letter, and ask for Cape Town contact person.
  
 
====Puku====
 
====Puku====
** No followup yet, Bobby still tying to confirm a date
+
*No followup yet, Bobby still tying to confirm a date
  
 
====Rhodes - June 28 - July 2====
 
====Rhodes - June 28 - July 2====
** Deon attending  
+
* Deon attending  
** Rossouw' was due to attend, but flights from Namibia too expensive (R8500), unfortunately we cannot afford. Bobby has volunteered to go.
+
* Rossouw' was due to attend, but flights from Namibia too expensive (R8500), unfortunately we cannot afford. Bobby has volunteered to go.
** Friday meeting with Wynand(?) to confirm schedule (Bobby, Deon and Douglas - Bobby will forward email)
+
* Friday meeting with Wynand(?) to confirm schedule (Bobby, Deon and Douglas - Bobby will forward email)
** Whitelist IP, create dashboard, track new members
+
* Whitelist IP, create dashboard, track new members
** Meeting on Friday
+
* Meeting on Friday
  
 
====Climate Change workshop====
 
====Climate Change workshop====
** date has changed, now 6-8 August https://cdkn.org/2019/05/news-participate-in-africas-first-ever-wikipedia-edit-a-thon-on-climate-change/?loclang=en_gb
+
* date has changed, now 6-8 August https://cdkn.org/2019/05/news-participate-in-africas-first-ever-wikipedia-edit-a-thon-on-climate-change/?loclang=en_gb
** Expecting ~30 researchers to attend. Focused around species under threat.
+
* Expecting ~30 researchers to attend. Focused around species under threat.
** Ian, Reuben and Michael expressed interest, others welcome
+
* Ian, Reuben and Michael expressed interest, others welcome
+
 
 
===Communication and social media channels, infrastructure===
 
===Communication and social media channels, infrastructure===
 
* Twitter: 1407 followers -> 1414
 
* Twitter: 1407 followers -> 1414
Line 94: Line 92:
 
===Next Meeting===
 
===Next Meeting===
 
* Tue 02 July 7pm
 
* Tue 02 July 7pm
 +
 +
[[Category:Board meetings]]

Latest revision as of 21:59, 13 September 2019

Contents

[edit] Wikimedia ZA Board meeting - 18 June 2019

[edit] Attendance

  • Michael Graaf
  • Ian Gilfillan
  • Rossouw
  • Coenraad
  • Adri Baard
  • Bobby Shabangu

[edit] Apologies

  • Deon Steyn
  • Douglas

[edit] Agenda

[edit] Previous minutes

[edit] Wiki Loves Africa 2019 - Report

[edit] Survey for Wikipedia ZA

  • Been some email discussion

[edit] Wikimania Scholarships

  • Douglas and Bobby going
  • Judges - David Richfield, Dumisane, Martin (German chapter)
  • Number of applications
  • Ian will send out more reminders closer to time

[edit] Hackathon update

  • Dragging out, making things complicated, may be better off doing ourselves
    • Also problems with phone conference
    • Sentech wants to follow the manual to the letter, including server setup - Coenraad offered help, Michael and Coenraad will discuss
  • Reuben has got involved too which is great


[edit] Afrikaans Wikipedia

  • R500 token award for person making the 2 millionth edit
  • Surprise
  • 1700 edits away from 2 millionth edit
  • Initial support, but then discussion about conflict of interest, some knowing about the prize in advance and others not
  • There will be social media posts afterwards to recognise this milestone, Adri will coordinate
  • Agreed that those who are aware of it are not eligible

[edit] Events

[edit] Madrid

  • Douglas needs to report back

[edit] Cape Town Meetup

[edit] Goethe Institute

  • Bobby met with them in Berlin. Bobby presented along with German chapter, GI wants to integrate ?
  • GI will provide with venue, catering and internet for workshops
  • Expressed interest in sponsoring attendees to Wikimania. Too late for this year, request to be asked in time for future years
  • There were no attendees from Cape Town center, but same applies.
  • Coenraad: Can we need to send them an official thank you letter? - Yes, as a chapter. Bobby to draft letter, and ask for Cape Town contact person.

[edit] Puku

  • No followup yet, Bobby still tying to confirm a date

[edit] Rhodes - June 28 - July 2

  • Deon attending
  • Rossouw' was due to attend, but flights from Namibia too expensive (R8500), unfortunately we cannot afford. Bobby has volunteered to go.
  • Friday meeting with Wynand(?) to confirm schedule (Bobby, Deon and Douglas - Bobby will forward email)
  • Whitelist IP, create dashboard, track new members
  • Meeting on Friday

[edit] Climate Change workshop

[edit] Communication and social media channels, infrastructure

  • Twitter: 1407 followers -> 1414
  • Facebook (Afrikaans): 309 members -> 308
  • Facebook (English): 957 follows (904 likes) -> 962 (908)
  • Instagram 110 Followers
  • Mailing list (Afrikaans): 312 members. Suspect most are fake, aol addresses, no valid activity for years -> 312
  • Mailing list (English): 284 members -> 284
  • Meetup: 85 members -> 92
  • Youtube: 47 subscribers -> 47
  • Zulip: 13 users -> 13


[edit] Next Meeting

  • Tue 02 July 7pm
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox