Board Meeting 11 September 2019
From Wikimedia ZA
Revision as of 21:57, 13 September 2019 by Greenman
Confirm date for Strategy Day and AGM (Douglas)
- Tentattively: 16 + 17 November 2019
- 5 Year Strategy Day on 16th
- AGM on 17th
- Douglas to setup new Doodle Poll for 30 Nov / 7 Dec - https://doodle.com/poll/3v7g6gck6839wge7
Feedback on UN Wikipedian in Residence (Douglas)
- It's moving ahead rapidly.
- 3 meetings so far, the third being between John Cummings, Douglas and UN ppl
- Douglas met with Io (director of ZA office) last week who wants to start in Oct/Nov.
- Io got someone to write a job description and the UN needs to put a hiring panel together.
- The description is confusing and doesn't cover the discussed job description.
- The document has been sent back for reverts.
- The process seems a little rushed as it's leaving space for miscommunication and unfair hiring practises.
- Coenraad: Rule #1 of community management is don't rush things through- if there is a tight deadline, call in help and telephonically touch base with board.
- John Cummings and Douglas gave feedback to this effect
- Douglas to share job description with board - done on Whatsapp. To discuss on Whatsapp and take chat to Zulip if there's to much chatter.
- Internal Wiki requirement:
- A way for them to record their institusional knowledge. This requires a high technical knowledge level
- Add the plugins
- Developing a community of enthusiasts that can contribute
- Wikimedian in residence primary purpose is to foster environment of contributing to Wikimedia
Feedback on Khoi-San Presentation (Michael)
- In the end it wasn't a presentation, but just an announcement
- Michael has been invited to the language course graduation where he'll be able to give a presentation.
- Date has not been set yet.
- Turned out to be more of an announcement than a presentation but I made some interesting networking contacts anyway and I will make the presentation at their graduation (date to be announced)
Turning Strategy Salon into a focused Meetup (Adri)
- Adri had meeting with Rupika & Bobby
- Draft of strategy recommendations need to be discusse
- Protest action at Universities are interfering with plans
- Adri suggest we forget about plan with University Youth Salon and have smaller event to discuss draft recommendations within the next week - will send doodle
- Sunday would be ideal then we can submit recommendations on Monday - which is the official deadline
- Doodle going out today
African language outreach (Douglas)
- Bobby, Michael and Douglas had a meeting with North West University's Digital Languages Resources Centre.
- We haven't done any work this year around African Languages.
- The Centre agreed to doing some shoutouts this year and then doing more indepth projects next year.
- We need to reach out to the Puku Foundation. Douglas to do that today
- Need volunteers
- Douglas emailing ? Trust for support
Wits - Arts on our minds Conference
- Bobby was at a conference with Ilsa talking about the importance of Wikipedia and creating awareness
- Bobby attended the Arts On Our Minds Conference with isla on 6 September 2019 at Wits
- Bobby and Isla made a presentation about the state of women participating in Wikimedia
- The floor was opened for a Q and A session where they answered question from the participants
Wiki Africa Project
- Lorenzo joined the boardmeeting
- Since April they've trained 100 teachers
- Main event is *5 October.*
- Barloworld is a sponsor along with Nando's and Constitution Hill Trust. This means that the event will be bigger and better than anticipated
- Bobby has been indispensible on preparing stubs for everyone to work on, on the day.
- Basics: 1 day editathon with 100 teachers participating. The majority should have had some experience editing a page and will select a stub on which they will be editing through out the day
- Stubs will mostly be in indiginous languages.
- Event is on October 5th
- There is also funding for Wikimedians from all over to join on the day. Flights can be reimbursed if anyone wants to join. The invite is also extended to anyone from the broader region
- Douglas suggest extending individual invitations
- Coenraad suggests supplementing this with scholarship programme, total budget is EUR 2000
- Score scholarship applicants on stubs created and content added - stubs also a way for more experienced wikimedians to pass on baton
- Lorenzo can nominate someone to help review applications, Coenraad volunteered
- 5 October 2019
- Coenraad to chat with Ian about getting notifications to work.- done