2020-AGM

From Wikimedia ZA
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Review of previous year's AGM minutes)
Line 33: Line 33:
 
*What we did this year
 
*What we did this year
 
:* The [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia_South_Africa/2019#End_of_year_report 2019/20 Foundation grant report] covers chapter activities done in the last six months of 2019 and first six months of 2020
 
:* The [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia_South_Africa/2019#End_of_year_report 2019/20 Foundation grant report] covers chapter activities done in the last six months of 2019 and first six months of 2020
 +
* Presentation by Douglas Scott
 +
: At WMZA chapter events, 443 editors were recorded as editing 15900 articles and creating 883 articles and uploading 1300 files to Commons.  The SA Community has done a lot more, these figures only pertain to specific *Chapter programmes. The chapter ceased holding in-person activities because of covid.
 +
:Things to look forward to in 2021 - On presentation
 +
::Ingrid included Wikimedia and #1lib1ref in Community of Practicse under LIASA
 +
::Strategy, Diversity, others mentioned. (Pls update minutes from recording)
 +
::Nov 20 2021 ATKV Afrikaans Wikipedia Birthday
  
===Presentation by Douglas Scott===
+
*Review of 2020 activities - from https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia_South_Africa/2019#End_of_year_report
At WMZA chapter events, 443 editors were recorded as editing 15900 articles and creating 883 articles and uploading 1300 files to Commons. The SA Community has done a lot more, these figures only pertain to specific Chapter programmes. The chapter ceased holding in-person activities because of covid.
+
:TODO: add online editathons, and other activities to the report on meta
 +
:eg. Zulip editathons, thanks to Ian and Rossouw and others
 +
:Ontkiemingskompetieise - including ATKV with Prof Beukes and Pretorius, facilitated by Deon
  
====Things to look forward to in 2021 - On presentation====
+
*Forward looking suggestions
Ingrid included Wikimedia and #1lib1ref in Community of Practicse under LIASA
+
** GLAM & reGLAM - adding Research. Volunteer Thematic translation projects. Opportunity: Lack of cohesive strategy nationally.
Strategy, Diversity, others mentioned. (Pls update minutes from recording)
+
***We need to find a strategy to increase the numbers of African languages
Nov 20 2021 ATKV Afrikaans Wikipedia Birthday
+
***Unathi: Need projects based on empowering rural communities.
 +
***Wynand: Suggest a wish list on our home page where everyone can add, including wishlist for analogue materials to be digitised (pending mandates)
 +
***Noted that purpose of appointing Administrator is to drive projects and free up more volunteer time.
 +
***Freedom of Panorama so we can upload more than just colonial era, but aslso new monuments https://libguides.wits.ac.za/Copyright_and_Related_Issues
 +
***Awareness + Diversity:  Wynand, Ingrid (and colleague Susanne Noll) have been having conversations/webinars about using Wikipedia (and sister projects) in Higher Education  - esp around Africanisation
 +
***Conversations/Webinars in academic sector
 +
**Update on 5 year plan. What we discussed vs Where we are. Try to put hours against it
 +
***open access, science, education - LIASA programme that we can copy, LIASA has offered help
  
====Review of 2020 activities====
+
*Free knowledge strategy discussion (update from recording pls)
from https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia_South_Africa/2019#End_of_year_report
+
TODO: add online editathons, and other activities to the report on meta
+
eg. Zulip editathons, thanks to Ian and Rossouw and others
+
Ontkiemingskompetieise - including ATKV with Prof Beukes and Pretorius, facilitated by Deon
+
  
====Forward looking suggestions====
 
GLAM & reGLAM - adding Research. Volunteer Thematic translation projects. Opportunity: Lack of cohesive strategy nationally.
 
We need to find a strategy to increase the numbers of African languages
 
Unathi: Need projects based on empowering rural communities.
 
Wynand: Suggest a wish list on our home page where everyone can add, including wishlist for analogue materials to be digitised (pending mandates)
 
Noted that purpose of appointing Administrator is to drive projects and free up more volunteer time.
 
Freedom of Panorama so we can upload more than just colonial era, but aslso new monuments https://libguides.wits.ac.za/Copyright_and_Related_Issues
 
Awareness + Diversity:  Wynand, Ingrid (and colleague Susanne Noll) have been having conversations/webinars about using Wikipedia (and sister projects) in Higher Education  - esp around Africanisation
 
Conversations/Webinars in academic sector
 
Update on 5 year plan. What we discussed vs Where we are. Try to put hours against it
 
open access, science, education - LIASA programme that we can copy, LIASA has offered help
 
  
Free knowledge strategy discussion (update from recording pls)
+
* [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_South_Africa/Copyright_Amendement_Bill Copyright advocacy activity report]
 +
** Financials
 +
** Membership mailer - include updating commitment
  
  
:* [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_South_Africa/Copyright_Amendement_Bill Copyright advocacy activity report]
 
* Financials
 
* Membership mailer - include updating commitment
 
  
 
==Planned for next year==
 
==Planned for next year==
Line 73: Line 72:
 
*Effect of COVID-19
 
*Effect of COVID-19
 
*WMF & international community events
 
*WMF & international community events
:* Strategy (Adri & Bobby)
+
** Strategy (Adri & Bobby)
:* Wikimedia Foundation Board - [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/October_2020_-_Proposed_Bylaws_changes Proposed Bylaws changes]
+
** Wikimedia Foundation Board - [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/October_2020_-_Proposed_Bylaws_changes Proposed Bylaws changes]
 
+
Intermission for lunch
+
  
 
==Vote for 2021 Board==
 
==Vote for 2021 Board==
Line 98: Line 95:
  
 
==Date of next AGM==
 
==Date of next AGM==
Align with financial year (attempt no 2)
+
* Align with financial year (attempt no 2)
Bobby suggestions Saturday the 25 September 2021, Douglas seconds that date. Date selected.
+
* Bobby suggestions Saturday the 25 September 2021, Douglas seconds that date. Date selected.

Revision as of 12:40, 28 November 2020

2020 AGM - Agenda

Date: 28 November 2020 Time: 10:00 to 13:00 + 1 hour lunch intermission -> 14:00 return for board elections Location: On your computer via Zoom, please register to join

Contents

Review of previous year's AGM minutes

Meeting reviewed 2019 minutes, no objections and questions raised.

Attendees

  • Douglas Scott - WMZA Chair 2020
  • Bobby Shabangu - WMZA Board 2020
  • Mohau Monaledi
  • Wynand Van der Walt - WMZA Board 2020
  • Nobantu Modise
  • Michael Graaf - WMZA Board 2020
  • Paul Conlin
  • Nikki Crowster - LIASA President
  • Unathi Ndiki
  • Gwinyai Masukume
  • Ian Gilfillan - WMZA Board 2020
  • Deon Steyn - WMZA Board 2020
  • Coenraad Loubser - WMZA Board 2020
  • Ingrid Thomson
  • Kekeletso Mafaladiso
  • Mohau Monaledi
  • Peter Meyer
  • Rossouw van Rooyen - WMZA Board 2020
  • Adri Loubser - WMZA Board 2020

Annual Report

  • What we did this year
  • Presentation by Douglas Scott
At WMZA chapter events, 443 editors were recorded as editing 15900 articles and creating 883 articles and uploading 1300 files to Commons. The SA Community has done a lot more, these figures only pertain to specific *Chapter programmes. The chapter ceased holding in-person activities because of covid.
Things to look forward to in 2021 - On presentation
Ingrid included Wikimedia and #1lib1ref in Community of Practicse under LIASA
Strategy, Diversity, others mentioned. (Pls update minutes from recording)
Nov 20 2021 ATKV Afrikaans Wikipedia Birthday
TODO: add online editathons, and other activities to the report on meta
eg. Zulip editathons, thanks to Ian and Rossouw and others
Ontkiemingskompetieise - including ATKV with Prof Beukes and Pretorius, facilitated by Deon
  • Forward looking suggestions
    • GLAM & reGLAM - adding Research. Volunteer Thematic translation projects. Opportunity: Lack of cohesive strategy nationally.
      • We need to find a strategy to increase the numbers of African languages
      • Unathi: Need projects based on empowering rural communities.
      • Wynand: Suggest a wish list on our home page where everyone can add, including wishlist for analogue materials to be digitised (pending mandates)
      • Noted that purpose of appointing Administrator is to drive projects and free up more volunteer time.
      • Freedom of Panorama so we can upload more than just colonial era, but aslso new monuments https://libguides.wits.ac.za/Copyright_and_Related_Issues
      • Awareness + Diversity: Wynand, Ingrid (and colleague Susanne Noll) have been having conversations/webinars about using Wikipedia (and sister projects) in Higher Education - esp around Africanisation
      • Conversations/Webinars in academic sector
    • Update on 5 year plan. What we discussed vs Where we are. Try to put hours against it
      • open access, science, education - LIASA programme that we can copy, LIASA has offered help
  • Free knowledge strategy discussion (update from recording pls)



Planned for next year

  • WMZA Grant for 2020/21
  • Strategic Partnerships - Moleskine, LIASA, Afrikaans Wiki and Akademie
  • Language Audit - Ask IAN to do this
  • Effect of COVID-19
  • WMF & international community events

Vote for 2021 Board

  • Douglas will be stepping down as a candidate for president for the 2021; but would like to put himself forward for board membership
  • Note that Deon will not be able to join, but is willing to be nominated in absencia for the Board of 2021

Election results

  • Bobby Shabangu is nominated, seconded and accepts - Bobby elected
  • Coenraad Loubser is nominated, seconded and accepts
  • Douglas Scott is nominated and seconded accepts
  • Deon Styen is nominated, seconded and accepts
  • Wynand Van Der Walt is nominated and seconded accepts
  • Nobantu Modise is nominated and accepts - Nobantu is elected
  • Delight Chipunza Ngonidzashe is nominated and seconded
  • Michael Graaf is nominated and seconded and accepts
  • Rossouw van Rooyen is nominated and seconded and accepts

President elections

  • Douglas nominates Bobby for president, Adri seconds. Bobby accepts.
  • No other candidates: Bobby is elected as Wikimedia South Africa chapter president

Date of next AGM

  • Align with financial year (attempt no 2)
  • Bobby suggestions Saturday the 25 September 2021, Douglas seconds that date. Date selected.
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Organization
Get Involved
Wikimania 2018
Connect
Toolbox